Admissions [Non Yr8]
Admission Year 9 – 11
The admission process for Year 9 through to Year 11 is a two stage process.
Admissions Criteria into Year 9
The Board of Governors delegate responsibility, to the Senior Management Team of the school, for the application of Admissions Criteria into Year 9.
1. If a place becomes available in Year 9 the following procedure will be followed:
- If the AQE score is available, applicants will be ranked by AQE score,
- If the applicant is transferring from outside Northern Ireland or they did not sit the AQE examination and if there is not appropriate evidence of academic ability and/or potential they will be asked to sit a standardised entrance test.
On the basis of the evidence obtained the Senior Management Team using 1 above will offer a place according to the score (AQE or standardised test).
2. In the event of a tie, preference will be given according to the following criteria, applied in the order set down:
- Pupils transferring from another grammar school in Northern Ireland where their family move into the geographical area served by our traditional primary feeder schools.
- Pupils who have a sibling enrolled in the school on the date of transfer or who are the eldest child of the family.
- Pupils whose brother/sister attended The Wallace High School.
- Pupils who have a parent who attended The Wallace High School.
- Pupils attending our usual feeder secondary schools (list available).
- Pupils from other schools in Northern Ireland.
- Pupils from a school outside Northern Ireland.
3. There must be evidence from the school currently attended of satisfactory attainment, attendance and behaviour.
4. A waiting list will be maintained for each academic year and this will be updated annually. If a pupil’s name is to remain on the list an application will need to be re- submitted each new academic year.
Admissions Criteria into Year 10-12
The Board of Governors delegate responsibility, to the Senior Management Team of the school, for the application of Admissions Criteria into Years 10, 11 and 12.
Owing to the difficulty in changing GCSE courses when moving school, only in exceptional circumstances will an application for a place in Y11 (other than at the start of the academic year) or Y12 be considered.
If a place becomes available in Y10-12 the following procedure will be followed:
The applicant must on application provide evidence (two most recent school reports) of satisfactory attainment, attitude and behaviour that would indicate they would benefit from a place at this school.
The applicant may also be asked to sit a standardised entrance test set by the school.
It is the responsibility of the Senior Management Team to decide if, on the basis of the evidence made available, a place is to be offered.
A waiting list will be maintained for each academic year and this will be updated annually. If a pupil’s name is to remain on the list an application will need to be re- submitted each new academic year.
Admission to Sixth Form
The Sixth Form entry policy is approved by the Board of Governors and implemented by the Principal and senior staff. It is reviewed on an annual basis and students are required to fulfil criteria for transfer into L6 and into U6.