Parent ICT Guidance
An introduction to our Learning Platforms (video)
Filtering your home internet connection
Family Sharing Explained (external site)
e-Safety is an important aspect of ICT use at Wallace High School. Training is provided to students through the Programming course taught in Years 8 and 9, with focus on staying safe while online. It is also covered at a whole school level through the pastoral program provided in assemblies. Children need parental supervision and common-sense advice in order that their experiences whilst on-line are happy, healthy, and productive. Children need to conduct independent actions in order to develop, however, they still need parental involvement and supervision (direct and indirect) in their daily lives if security is to be maintained. Therefore, the same general parenting skills that apply to the “real world” also apply while on-line.
Internet : Guidance For Parents
- Stay in touch with what your children are doing by spending time with them whilst they are on-line, i.e. make on-line time a family activity; make sure that you know the services your child uses.
- Find out what types of information and services are offered and whether there are ways for parents to protect their child.
- Keep the computer in a family room rather than a child’s bedroom.
- Learn yourself about how to access the services – ask your child to explain the services to you;go on-line yourself so that you are familiar with and understand the potential benefits and risks associated with Internet access.
- If you don’t know how to log on, get your child to show you.
- Seek out the advice and counsel of other local Internet users and become familiar with the appropriate systems;
- Get to know your child’s ‘on-line friends’ just as you do their other friends.
- If you are concerned about your child’s on-line activities, talk to them about it;
- Develop an agreed set of ‘Family Internet Rules’
SWGfl provides useful concise guides on setting up and using a large variety of social media platforms as well as answers to various questions that you may have.
Safer Schools NI App
The digital world is 24/7; it’s outside and inside of the school gates, so you need a service that does the same. Safer Schools NI is a digital library of age-appropriate safeguarding resources that you can check out anytime, from your phone to your computer to your classroom.
When you need information about online safety, whether that be the latest gaming buzzwords doing the rounds in the playground, or keeping up to speed with the most recent risks on platforms like TikTok, Roblox, Snapchat and more, your Safer Schools App can help!
Related Links :
NSPCC Share Aware
Internet Safety for Kids (CyberGhost)
Internet Watch Foundation
ICO guide to Online Safety
Child Exploitation and Online Protection command
Please note : Wallace High School is not responsible for the content of any external website. If any of the links do not work or the site has changed please let us know.